Last Updated Date: December 31, 2019
Table of Contents
- Information We Collect
- How We Collect Information
- How We Use Information
- How We Share Information
- Marketing and Interest-Based Advertising
- Your Rights and Choices
- International Users
- Canadian Users
- Links to Other Websites
- Children's Privacy
- Notice to California Residents
- Contact Information
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Personal information is information that directly identifies or can be used to identify you as an individual. When you visit or use the Site, visit our stores, or otherwise engage with Talbots, its products, or services we may collect your personal information. For example, we may collect:
- Contact information such as your name, postal or shipping address, telephone number, or e-mail address
- Your billing address and payment method
- Communication preferences for when and how you receive communications from Talbots, including marketing and promotional messages and catalogs
- Birthday month, addresses, Classic Awards or gift card information, wish list items, and other details you save in your myTalbots account, as well as your myTalbots account user name and password
- Feedback, survey responses and comments you submit to Talbots or video recorded feedback sessions (if you choose to participate in a focus group)
- Transaction history, order details and shopping preferences such as your preferred sizes, brands, or products
- Voice recordings and information that you share when you call our customer service center or stores
- Browsing and device information such as IP address, device identifiers, cookies, browsing activities or other information collected automatically when you visit or use the Site
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We generally collect information in three ways: 1) information you provide to us, 2) information we collect automatically, and 3) information we receive from third parties, as described further below.
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE
- Request services and products through any shopping channel (online through the Site, in our stores or by phone)
- Register for a myTalbots account, create wish lists, or sign up for catalogs and email alerts
- Respond to surveys, participate in focus groups, submit reviews, enter contests or drawings, or register for and participate in loyalty programs
- Contact customer service or other Talbots points of contact to submit questions or requests
You may provide your personal information to Talbots when you:
INFORMATION COLLECTED AUTOMATICALLY
We may automatically collect and receive your personal information when you visit the Site or use our services. We use this information, which typically remains in aggregate form and does not identify individual users, to improve the Site and the services we offer. If a combination of information we collect does identify you as an individual, we will treat the combined information as personal information. The following are examples of how we automatically collect information through the Site:
Cookies. Like many online retailers, the Site uses 'cookies', small data files stored on your computer's web browser, or other passive means of data collection. Cookies are used to personalize your visit, remember your preferences, help place your order or to enhance your shopping experience and online browsing. We, or our service providers, may also use technologies, such as cookies, to provide you with personalized advertising tailored to your interests. For more information about your choices regarding this type of advertising, please see the section titled "Marketing and Interest-Based Advertising” below. You can adjust your web browser to accept or reject cookies; however, if you disable all cookies, some features of the Site may not work as intended.
Pixel Tags. We use 'pixel tags' (small graphic images also called web beacons or clear gifs) or similar technologies to track information in the aggregate about your use of the Site like the web pages you view, the links you click, and the time you spend on a page. We use this information to monitor the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing campaigns so we can learn how to best deliver your customer experience. We also use pixels to track our email campaigns to determine whether recipients opened the email and what links they clicked on from the email.
INFORMATION COLLECTED FROM THIRD PARTIES
We may also collect your personal information from third-parties, including:
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may also receive additional information about you from third-party service providers and/or partners, such as demographic information, and combine it with information we have about you to better customize our offerings to you.
HOW WE USE INFORMATION
We may use your personal information to accomplish our business purposes including to:
- Complete your transaction, process and ship your order, or respond to your questions or requests
- Personalize your experience, store your preferences, and provide user-experience features and to operate our business and provide our products and services
- Administer our business (e.g., to make improvements to the Site, conduct analytics and enhance our products and services)
- Facilitate your participation in our loyalty programs and other customer offerings
- Allow you to create and maintain wish lists and other information in your myTalbots account
- Communicate with you, including by electronic means, about your order, special offers, promotions and other products or services we think may be of interest to you
- Create and administer contests, drawings, special events and surveys
- Enhance and customize your customer experience and customer service in our stores, call centers and on the Site
- Respond to reviews, comments, or other feedback you provide or questions you submit
- Manage and customize promotional offers and advertisements we think may be of interest to you and to conduct data analysis and related activities.
- Detect and prevent fraud and protect the security and integrity of the Site and our stores and systems
- Protect our legal rights or the health or safety of our customers, employees or others
- Comply with our legal obligations or to respond to law enforcement or legal and regulatory inquiries or requests or legal proceedings
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
- Talbots Corporate Family of Companies. We may share your information with our family of companies, including Talbots parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates for business operations and to send you information about products or services we think may be of interest to you.
- Service Providers. We engage with select service providers who provide services to support our operations such as: order processing and fulfillment, market research, advertising and promotion of products, managing promotions and contests, and other support services. Such parties may, from time to time, have access to your information to enable them to provide the services. All service providers are contractually required to secure your information and are prohibited from using the information for their own marketing activities or for any purpose other than providing their services to us.
- Third-Party Marketing Services. We may share your name and postal address with third parties for the third parties to send you offers or marketing materials such as catalogs through the mail. To opt out of our sharing your information for these purposes click the DO NOT SELL MY INFO button below.
- Other Third Parties. As further described in the “HOW WE USE INFORMATION” section above, we may share your information to protect your safety or the safety of others when we have reason to believe that disclosing the information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to you, our employees or otherwise injuring or interfering with Talbots rights, property or operations, other customers, or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities; to comply with legal obligations, such as when required by law, or in response to any demand by law enforcement authorities in connection with a criminal investigation, or civil or administrative authorities in connection with a pending civil case or administrative investigation; and to maintain the security of the Site and services and to resolve or troubleshoot technical issues.
- Successor Entities. We reserve the right to sell, rent, disclose or transfer your personal information to a successor entity in the event of a corporate merger, consolidation, sale of assets or other corporate changes respecting Talbots or our affiliated companies.
MARKETING AND INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
Like many retailers, Talbots contracts with service providers to serve or send advertisements on our behalf. We partner with these advertising service providers that collect information across various channels, including offline and online, for purposes of delivering more relevant advertising to you. Our advertising partners may place or recognize a cookie on your computer, device, or directly in our emails/communications, and we may share personal information with them if you have submitted such information to us, such as your name, postal address, email address, or device ID. Our partners may link the non-personal information we share with them to the cookie stored on your browser or device and collect information such as your IP address, browser or operating system type and version, and demographic or shopping information. Our partners use this information to recognize you across different channels and platforms over time to assist us with our operations including for advertising, analytics, attribution, and reporting purposes. Many of Talbots marketing service providers are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI), or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), and have agreed to honor consumers' opt-out preferences submitted through those organizations' websites. To learn more about your choices regarding this type of data collection or to opt-out of interest-based advertising by members of the NAI or the DAA, please visit http://optout.networkadvertising.org or https://www.aboutads.info.
We do not permit third parties to collect personal information through cookies or other tools on our Site concerning your online activities over time across different websites for the third parties’ own purposes. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but you can usually modify your browser settings to decline cookies but doing so may prevent you from accessing all functionality of the Site.
"DO NOT TRACK" SIGNALS
Some websites have "do not track" features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. The Site does not currently respond to browser based “do not track” signals.
Talbots undertakes reasonable and appropriate physical, administrative, and technical security measures to help safeguard your personal information and prevent unauthorized access and disclosures. However, the security of information transmitted over the Internet is not guaranteed. We suggest you take steps to help protect the confidentiality of your information, such as: using complex passwords to secure your account, using a unique password for each site on which you have an account, and keeping your password confidential; keeping the operating system, anti-virus and other protections on your computer or mobile device up-to-date; sign out of your account when not using it; and contact our customer service team if you receive any suspicious mail, emails, phone calls or other communications purporting to be from Talbots.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
- You may view, update and correct your personal information by logging into your myTalbots account or by contacting us using the contact information listed below. It may take up to 10 business days for your requested changes to take effect.
- You may update your preferences and options included in your myTalbots account at any time by logging into your account or by contacting us using the contact information listed below. You may create a Wish List using your myTalbots account and to help protect your privacy, we initially set your Wish List account to a "Private" setting. You can update your Wish List privacy settings to make your Wish List "Private" (not publicly searchable) or "Public" (publicly searchable through our site). You may also cancel your myTalbots account at any time by notifying us using the contact information listed below.
- You may request to be removed from our marketing emails, calling, catalog or postal mailing lists. For calling list removal, it may take up to 30 days to process your request. For postal mailing list removal, it may take up to 6-8 weeks to process your request as our customer personal information is collected in advance due to printing schedules. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving marketing communications, you may continue to receive emails, mailings or calls relating to order confirmations and/or other transaction-related communications.
- click and complete the form. If you prefer not to have your name and address shared with third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes (e.g., sending you catalogs), please
Canadian customers can also request access to their personal information stored by Talbots by contacting us and we will inform you about what type of personal information we have on record or in our control, how it is used and to whom it may have been disclosed, provide you with access to your personal information so you can review and verify the accuracy and completeness and request changes to the personal information and make any necessary updates to your personal information. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide some or all of the personal information that we hold about you. In addition, the personal information may have been destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. If we do not provide you with access to your personal information, we will endeavor to inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Canadian customers should direct their inquiries to our Canadian Privacy Officer, who can be contacted at the address and phone number listed above or by email at Canada.firstname.lastname@example.org.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
We may provide links on the Site to third-party websites we think may be of interest to you, including plug-ins that link to social media sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. These websites are independent from Talbots and have their own separate privacy policies. Talbots is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such third-party websites. Whenever you click on links on the Site that take you to a third-party website, you will be subject to the third party's privacy policies. We recommend that you review the third-parties’ privacy polices before you visit these websites.
The Site is not intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect or solicit any personal information from children under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register for an online account. Should we learn that someone under the age of 13 has provided any personal information to or on the Site, we will remove that information as soon as possible.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT – Categories of personal information we collected
- HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION – Sources from which personal information was collected
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION – Our business or commercial purposes for collecting personal information
- HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION – Third parties with whom we shared personal information
YOUR CCPA RIGHTS AND HOW TO EXERCISE THEM
If you are a California resident, you have certain rights, pursuant to the CCPA. These CCPA rights may only apply in certain circumstances and are subject to certain exemptions. Please see the information below for a summary of your rights, how to exercise your rights and the information we require in order to respond to your requests. Please note that we may ask for certain information to verify the request in accordance with applicable law.
- Right to Know. You have the right to request that we disclose what personal information we collect, use, disclose and/or sell about you. To exercise your right to know, please submit your request using the toll-free number, web form, or other methods provided on our Contact Us page.
- Right to Delete. You have the right to delete personal information that we collect or maintain about you. To request deletion of your information, click the RIGHT TO DELETE link immediately below and complete the web form prompts to confirm your request. You will be required to provide certain information which we will use to verify your request. Please note that certain exceptions apply to this right, such as when we must retain your information to comply with law. We will notify you of any such exceptions as applicable to your request.
- Right to Opt-Out of Sale. You have the right to opt-out or ask us not to sell your personal information. To exercise this right, click the DO NOT SELL MY INFO button below to open the web form or located on the home page of our Site or other options available on our Contact Us page.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any of your CCPA rights. However, we may offer certain financial incentives, charge reasonable fees related to your requests, or deny your right to know, right to request deletion, or right to opt-out of sale in accordance with applicable law.
You can exercise your CCPA rights yourself or you can designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. Your authorized agent must be able to demonstrate authority to act on your behalf as further instructed when submitting a verifiable request.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We disclosed personal information (limited to your name and mailing address) to third parties for business or commercial purposes (e.g., marketing, sending catalogs) during the last 12 months. If you would like to have your information removed from such lists, please click the DO NOT SELL MY INFO button indicated above.
- We do not knowingly collect the personal information of minors under age 16 and do not sell such information.
THIRD-PARTY MARKETING DISCLOSURE
One Talbots Drive
Hingham, MA 02043
You can contact us by telephone at 1-800-TALBOTS (1-800-825-2687), FAX 1-800-438-9443, or by email at Privacy@talbots.com. Canadian customers should direct their inquiries to our Canadian Privacy Officer, who can be contacted using the Contact Information or by email at Canada.email@example.com.